Travel in real space kaladorn@xxxxxx (20 Jul 2020 05:01 UTC)
Re: [TML] Travel in real space Jeffrey Schwartz (20 Jul 2020 12:42 UTC)
Re: [TML] Travel in real space kaladorn@xxxxxx (20 Jul 2020 14:11 UTC)
Re: [TML] Travel in real space Jeffrey Schwartz (20 Jul 2020 14:31 UTC)
Re: [TML] Travel in real space Vareck Bostrom (20 Jul 2020 15:51 UTC)
Re: [TML] Travel in real space Vareck Bostrom (20 Jul 2020 16:40 UTC)
Re: [TML] Travel in real space Jeffrey Schwartz (20 Jul 2020 17:34 UTC)
Re: [TML] Travel in real space Vareck Bostrom (20 Jul 2020 20:45 UTC)
Re: [TML] Travel in real space Vareck Bostrom (20 Jul 2020 20:47 UTC)
Re: [TML] Travel in real space Jeffrey Schwartz (20 Jul 2020 21:16 UTC)
Re: [TML] Travel in real space Greg Nokes (20 Jul 2020 21:27 UTC)
Re: [TML] Travel in real space Vareck Bostrom (20 Jul 2020 21:31 UTC)
Re: [TML] Travel in real space Greg Nokes (20 Jul 2020 21:48 UTC)
Re: [TML] Travel in real space Jeffrey Schwartz (20 Jul 2020 21:34 UTC)
Re: [TML] Travel in real space Vareck Bostrom (20 Jul 2020 21:29 UTC)
Re: [TML] Travel in real space Jeffrey Schwartz (20 Jul 2020 21:35 UTC)
Re: [TML] Travel in real space Phil Pugliese (27 Jul 2020 01:05 UTC)
Re: [TML] Travel in real space kaladorn@xxxxxx (21 Jul 2020 05:15 UTC)
Re: [TML] Travel in real space Vareck Bostrom (22 Jul 2020 22:01 UTC)
Re: [TML] Travel in real space kaladorn@xxxxxx (23 Jul 2020 11:42 UTC)
Re: [TML] Travel in real space Vareck Bostrom (23 Jul 2020 15:14 UTC)
Re: [TML] Travel in real space kaladorn@xxxxxx (23 Jul 2020 19:18 UTC)
Re: [TML] Travel in real space David Shaw (23 Jul 2020 19:29 UTC)
Re: [TML] Travel in real space kaladorn@xxxxxx (23 Jul 2020 23:29 UTC)
Re: [TML] Travel in real space David Shaw (24 Jul 2020 07:47 UTC)
Re: [TML] Travel in real space kaladorn@xxxxxx (24 Jul 2020 12:50 UTC)
Re: [TML] Travel in real space Alan.Peery@xxxxxx (24 Jul 2020 15:25 UTC)
Re: [TML] Travel in real space Thomas Jones-Low (23 Jul 2020 19:30 UTC)
Re: [TML] Travel in real space Vareck Bostrom (23 Jul 2020 20:30 UTC)
Re: [TML] Travel in real space kaladorn@xxxxxx (21 Jul 2020 05:29 UTC)
Re: [TML] Travel in real space Vareck Bostrom (20 Jul 2020 17:14 UTC)
Re: [TML] Travel in real space kaladorn@xxxxxx (21 Jul 2020 05:20 UTC)
Re: [TML] Travel in real space Vareck Bostrom (21 Jul 2020 05:48 UTC)
Re: [TML] Travel in real space kaladorn@xxxxxx (21 Jul 2020 07:50 UTC)
Re: [TML] Travel in real space kaladorn@xxxxxx (21 Jul 2020 07:57 UTC)
Re: [TML] Travel in real space Vareck Bostrom (28 Jul 2020 19:15 UTC)
Re: [TML] Travel in real space kaladorn@xxxxxx (28 Jul 2020 20:21 UTC)
Re: [TML] Travel in real space Catherine Berry (23 Jul 2020 19:59 UTC)
Re: [TML] Travel in real space kaladorn@xxxxxx (23 Jul 2020 23:27 UTC)
Re: [TML] Travel in real space Catherine Berry (27 Jul 2020 05:36 UTC)
Re: [TML] Travel in real space Richard Aiken (27 Jul 2020 07:41 UTC)
Re: [TML] Travel in real space Thomas RUX (27 Jul 2020 12:51 UTC)
Re: [TML] Travel in real space Catherine Berry (27 Jul 2020 14:05 UTC)
Re: [TML] Travel in real space Thomas RUX (27 Jul 2020 18:23 UTC)
Re: [TML] Travel in real space Vareck Bostrom (21 Jul 2020 03:53 UTC)
Re: [TML] Travel in real space Vareck Bostrom (23 Jul 2020 20:59 UTC)

Re: [TML] Travel in real space Jeffrey Schwartz 20 Jul 2020 14:30 UTC

On Mon, Jul 20, 2020 at 10:13 AM <xxxxxx@gmail.com> wrote:

> Those are more like the G-loads I'd have expected... yet....
>
> "On their way back from a lap around the Moon in 1969, the astronauts’ capsule hit a peak of 24,790mph (39,897km/h) relative to planet Earth."
>
> 39,897 km/h -> 39,897 m in 3600 seconds -> 11.0825 m/s
>
> So if this is their top speed relative to earth (that may be the issue as it is a fast moving target), that is not 1000 m/s.
>
> So if both your figures from the linked doc and the BBC's figures are accurate, there has to be something to tie them together... but I can't get there.
>
> Was the Earth receding at 990 m/s?

That could be. Earth is moving in its orbit
Although that would probably be part of the lunar velocity too, and
already imparted to the Apollo.
Dunno. Hard to figure on that one.

> And the other question I had was whether the figures you quoted included any portion of the velocity of their orbit (I'm guessing some of that is preserved if you break orbit right...)?

Probably. I don't have those numbers

> ======
>
> Aside: Your 6.7 m/s should be m/s^2 (a minor thing).

Yeah