Re: [TML]A question for the panel regarding jump drive and relativity Thomas Jones-Low (07 Sep 2020 15:06 UTC)
(missing)
(missing)
(missing)
(missing)

On 9/7/2020 10:54 AM, xxxxxx@quibell.org.uk wrote:
> So the answer is of course; Yes. Because the ships travel faster than light they
> can time travel.
>
> However I’ve never been work out how …

	As I recall working this out from a previous discussion, it requires two jumps,
one out, then one back and moving at a relativistic velocity compared to the
staring system. And by applying the Lorenz transformations on your apparent
velocity (from jumping), the t variable quickly becomes negative. Which means
you have traveled backwards through time.

	So you jump out, accelerate to 100km/s* toward the system you just left, then
jump again into the system to appear before you left.

	* NOTE: Velocity is from a long ago memory from a spreadsheet now vanished down
the memory hole.

	But that's the general idea. You need to account for the velocity of the ship
while in Jump as actual travel through space at 170c.

	If you assume the Jump is more akin to a wormhole, where the ship is taking a
shortcut, and not actually traveling the whole distance, I think you get some
different results.

--
         Thomas Jones-Low
Work:	xxxxxx@softstart.com