Re: [TML]A question for the panel regarding jump drive and relativity Alex Goodwin (07 Sep 2020 15:28 UTC)
(missing)
(missing)
(missing)
(missing)

On 8/9/20 12:20 am, Nicole Susans wrote:
> Many years ago when I was at university and dinosaurs roamed the earth
> I did two years of physics as part of my degree (I majored in
> mathematics but had some spare papers). I have a basic grasp on
> relativity and quantum mechanics. So yes I know what I'm in for lol
>
> On Tue, 8 Sep 2020, 2:15 AM Jeff Zeitlin,
> <xxxxxx@freelancetraveller.com <mailto:xxxxxx@freelancetraveller.com>>
> wrote:
>
>     On Tue, 8 Sep 2020 02:05:34 +1200, Nicole Susans
>     <xxxxxx@gmail.com <mailto:xxxxxx@gmail.com>>
>     wrote:
>
>     >A simple question. Can Traveller jump drives achieve time travel
>     and if so
>     >is there a way around it?
>
>     My first thought on reading this question is "Oh, you so did _not_
>     want to
>     go there...".
>
>     (Cue discussions and dissertations on relativity, which I'm not
>     exactly
>     qualified to participate in...)

 Nicole,

What are you connoting by "time travel"?
After all, we're all doing a version of it as we read the TML - away
from the Big Bang, at 1 second per second.  So a trivial answer to your
question would be "Yes - don't even need to power it up".

Are you creating a closed timelike curve and sending some other poor sod
down it?
Are you creating _and traversing_ a CTC, like Thomas Jones-Low's reply
seemed to assume?
Are you bolting a modified DeLorean to your Scout ship and *BAMF*ing
further away from the Big Bang - discontinuous travel in all of x, y, z
and t, simultaneously, where t1 > t0?

There's probably a bunch of cases I've missed, but that should do for a
start.

Alex