Worldbuilding/Culturebuilding Notes: Sumptuary Laws and Customs Freelance Traveller (31 May 2015 16:15 UTC)
Re: [TML] Worldbuilding/Culturebuilding Notes: Sumptuary Laws and Customs Kelly St. Clair (26 Jun 2015 21:52 UTC)

Re: [TML] Worldbuilding/Culturebuilding Notes: Sumptuary Laws and Customs Kelly St. Clair 26 Jun 2015 21:51 UTC

On 6/26/2015 2:47 PM, Craig Berry wrote:
> Of course, the flip side of that is demonstrated by a high-end gallery
> that my girlfriend and I visited in Beverly Hills while we were starving
> college students. They carried the work of her favorite artist, Erte.
> The staff were incredibly welcoming and helpful, and one of the salesmen
> gave us the full tour, lovingly describing every piece. None of them
> cost less than several thousand dollars. I became embarrassed at wasting
> the poor guy's time, and sheepishly admitted we couldn't possibly buy
> anything in the store. And he smiled and said "Not now, perhaps. But
> we're not going anywhere."
>
> Ten years later I bought an Erte sculpture from them for my
> by-then-wife's birthday. We later bought another piece from them.
> Sometimes being nice to the smelly proletariat pays off.

And that is how you make, not just a sale, but a /customer/.

--
Kelly St. Clair