Re: [TML] Instant city babyduck1 (15 Feb 2016 12:19 UTC)
Re: [TML] Instant city Greg Chalik (16 Feb 2016 10:03 UTC)
Re: [TML] Instant city tmr0195@xxxxxx (16 Feb 2016 14:10 UTC)
Re: [TML] Instant city Thomas Jones-Low (16 Feb 2016 14:07 UTC)
Re: [TML] Instant city Greg Chalik (16 Feb 2016 19:53 UTC)
Re: [TML] Instant city shadow@xxxxxx (21 Feb 2016 00:23 UTC)
Re: [TML] Instant city Richard Aiken (16 Feb 2016 23:36 UTC)
Re: [TML] Instant city Craig Berry (16 Feb 2016 23:44 UTC)
Re: [TML] Instant city Jeffrey Schwartz (17 Feb 2016 14:52 UTC)
Re: [TML] Instant city Bruce Johnson (17 Feb 2016 16:38 UTC)
Re: [TML] Instant city Craig Berry (17 Feb 2016 16:50 UTC)
Re: [TML] Instant city Jeffrey Schwartz (17 Feb 2016 17:04 UTC)
Re: [TML] Instant city Craig Berry (17 Feb 2016 17:17 UTC)
Re: [TML] Instant city Bruce Johnson (17 Feb 2016 17:58 UTC)
Re: [TML] Instant city Jeffrey Schwartz (18 Feb 2016 14:11 UTC)
Re: [TML] Instant city Tim (19 Feb 2016 00:00 UTC)
Re: [TML] Instant city shadow@xxxxxx (21 Feb 2016 02:57 UTC)
Re: [TML] Instant city Bruce Johnson (17 Feb 2016 17:04 UTC)
Re: [TML] Instant city Jeffrey Schwartz (17 Feb 2016 17:00 UTC)
Re: [TML] Instant city shadow@xxxxxx (21 Feb 2016 02:57 UTC)
Re: [TML] Instant city shadow@xxxxxx (21 Feb 2016 02:57 UTC)
Re: [TML] Instant city shadow@xxxxxx (21 Feb 2016 01:47 UTC)
Re: [TML] Instant city Greg Chalik (17 Feb 2016 01:20 UTC)
Re: [TML] Instant city Richard Aiken (17 Feb 2016 04:15 UTC)
Re: [TML] Instant city Greg Chalik (17 Feb 2016 07:47 UTC)
Re: [TML] Instant city Richard Aiken (17 Feb 2016 12:04 UTC)
Re: [TML] Instant city Jeffrey Schwartz (17 Feb 2016 14:59 UTC)
Re: [TML] Instant city Craig Berry (17 Feb 2016 15:38 UTC)
Re: [TML] Instant city shadow@xxxxxx (21 Feb 2016 02:57 UTC)
Re: [TML] Instant city shadow@xxxxxx (21 Feb 2016 01:47 UTC)

Re: [TML] Instant city Jeffrey Schwartz 17 Feb 2016 16:59 UTC

On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 11:38 AM, Bruce  Johnson
<xxxxxx@pharmacy.arizona.edu> wrote:

> On Feb 17, 2016, at 7:51 AM, Jeffrey Schwartz <xxxxxx@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> Would J-Space travel provide a "hyperlight cone" ?
> Hear me out...
>
> Einstein's original thought experiments that led to relativity were
> imagining bouncing a ball while moving on a train that approaches
> light speed. A person sitting in the train tosses the ball up, bounces
> it off the ceiling, and catches it.
> To him, the ball is going straight up and down.
> The path the ball takes to outside observers gets weirder the more
> difference between train speed and observer speed.
>

> Einsteins theory only holds for objects in *this* universe.
>
> Jump is a kind of ‘wormhole’ (technically an ‘Einstein-Rosen Bridge’ ) that
> removes the ship from the space/time continuum where Relativity holds sway.
>
> The ship isn’t moving faster than light, it’s taking a shortcut that light
> cannot take. Any relatavistic effects of their speed of travel would need an
> observer in J—space.
>
> The outside observer simply sees the ship vanish at one point in space then
> re-appear 168 hours later in another point in space.

Right, understood, but please bear with me, I'm having trouble putting
the image in my  mind into words.

Let me try this way -
Classic Flatland analogy.

From one corner of the "paper" to the other would take the Flatlander
7 years to travel in his N-space only ship.
But... he has the amazing 3D drive, so it only takes 168 hours by
traversing the 3 dimensional tunnel.

To any Flatlander, the ship vanishes and reappears, and there's no way
the light cones in the corners of the page connect.

To one of us, though, looking at the paper, and the 3D space around
it, we see the folded paper tunnel, and can see that the actual
distance traveled across the "Fold" is less than 168 light-hours.

So... since the actual travel distance is less than light by the same
path, isn't Flatlander still in the "light cone" when he exits Fold
and arrives at the far corner of the paper?

From another angle, suppose I have a spool of fiber optic cable 300km
long, with an input on one end and output on the other. I pulse light,
and 1/1000 of a second later, out it comes from the other end.

I set up a light that will both go into the fiber input, and will
travel straight past the spool to a pair of co-located detectors at
the exit end of the cable.

If I define the spool as a frame of reference, then the straight beam
is "Faster than light" and isn't in the light cone.
If I define the straight light beam as the frame of reference, life is all good.

If my concept of frame of reference treats the Jump as part of the
straight light beam, then the ship remains in the light cone of the
origin the whole time, since a "chunk" of light cone is carried with
it. (so to speak)

I know I'm horribly mangling what I'm trying to say, but I really hope
someone can follow (grin)