Re: [TML] Relic tech and Scarcity-Driven Imperium (was: Salvage Operations (and Submarines)) Tim (28 Mar 2016 23:52 UTC)
Re: [TML] Relic tech and Scarcity-Driven Imperium Kelly St. Clair (29 Mar 2016 21:37 UTC)
Re: [TML] Relic tech and Scarcity-Driven Imperium Craig Berry (29 Mar 2016 22:10 UTC)
Re: [TML] Relic tech and Scarcity-Driven Imperium Richard Aiken (30 Mar 2016 04:21 UTC)
Re: [TML] Relic tech and Scarcity-Driven Imperium Greg Chalik (30 Mar 2016 23:49 UTC)
Re: [TML] Relic tech and Scarcity-Driven Imperium Craig Berry (31 Mar 2016 00:02 UTC)
(OT) The Theory of Interstellar Trade carlos.web@xxxxxx (29 Mar 2016 18:58 UTC)
Re: [TML] (OT) The Theory of Interstellar Trade tmr0195@xxxxxx (29 Mar 2016 19:16 UTC)
Re: [TML] (OT) The Theory of Interstellar Trade Michael McKinney (29 Mar 2016 20:32 UTC)
Re: [TML] (OT) The Theory of Interstellar Trade David Shaw (29 Mar 2016 20:55 UTC)

On Mon, Mar 28, 2016 at 07:37:42PM -0400, Michael McKinney wrote:
> That's great and all, but is it safe to harbor oneself and fuel at
> each of those.

As safe as anything else in space (and thousands of times safer than
refuelling by gas giant skimming).

> For instance, can you safely anchor at Jupiter and get enough fuel
> to make the journey worthwhile, while also remaining safe?

"Anchor"?  In space?  One of us seems to be missing something here.
Also, Jupiter is a gas giant, and one of the major points of my post
was that gas giants are not even close to being the only option.

> Are there strong enough thrusters capable of countering some of
> space's severe gravity, even when you are at low fuel? There's some
> strong inefficiency I feel here.

"Low fuel" in Traveller terms just means you can't do a Jump and
travel to another star system.  It has virtually no relevance to
anything else.  On top of that, almost all of the options I mentioned
have very much weaker gravity than Earth.  I don't see where your
mention of "space's severe gravity" comes from.

- Tim