Re: [TML] Relic tech and Scarcity-Driven Imperium Kelly St. Clair (29 Mar 2016 21:37 UTC)
Re: [TML] Relic tech and Scarcity-Driven Imperium Craig Berry (29 Mar 2016 22:10 UTC)
Re: [TML] Relic tech and Scarcity-Driven Imperium Richard Aiken (30 Mar 2016 04:21 UTC)
Re: [TML] Relic tech and Scarcity-Driven Imperium Greg Chalik (30 Mar 2016 23:49 UTC)
Re: [TML] Relic tech and Scarcity-Driven Imperium Craig Berry (31 Mar 2016 00:02 UTC)
(OT) The Theory of Interstellar Trade carlos.web@xxxxxx (29 Mar 2016 18:58 UTC)
Re: [TML] (OT) The Theory of Interstellar Trade tmr0195@xxxxxx (29 Mar 2016 19:16 UTC)
Re: [TML] (OT) The Theory of Interstellar Trade Michael McKinney (29 Mar 2016 20:32 UTC)
Re: [TML] (OT) The Theory of Interstellar Trade David Shaw (29 Mar 2016 20:55 UTC)

On 3/29/2016 12:34 PM, Craig Berry wrote:

> There just aren't any bottlenecks in canon that would prevent a
> flourishing post-scarcity economy. That has to be imposed by fiat (and
> without plausible explanation) if you want the Traveller feel for your TU.

And this sort of thing, I regret to say, is why I don't really play, or
even talk much about, Traveller any more (except in posts like this
one).  It's too frustrating and discouraging when any discussion of
significant length ends with "because that would break the game/the
setting."

There comes a point when you're spending more time and effort propping
up, trying to handwave away, or flat out ignoring all the broken bits
than actually having fun.  Yes, I know that sort of thing /is/ fun to
some.  I'm not one, at least not at this stage of my life, being sadly
aware of (1) how often attempted fixes lead to their own
unintended/unforseen consequences, and (2) how much of this is simply
the result of (multiple) authors over the decades(!) either not knowing
better, or starting with a certain result (feel) in mind and
bending/contriving "reality", often against plausibility, to fit - I
can't suspend disbelief in what I see on stage, especially knowing what
I do about what happens behind the curtain.

--
Kelly St. Clair