Looking for a word to replace "General Aviation" Peter L. Berghold (27 Aug 2017 19:43 UTC)
Re: [TML] Looking for a word to replace "General Aviation" tmr0195@xxxxxx (27 Aug 2017 19:53 UTC)
Re: [TML] Looking for a word to replace "General Aviation" Peter Berghold (27 Aug 2017 19:59 UTC)
Re: [TML] Looking for a word to replace "General Aviation" tmr0195@xxxxxx (27 Aug 2017 23:26 UTC)
Re: [TML] Looking for a word to replace "General Aviation" Jeff Zeitlin (28 Aug 2017 00:51 UTC)
Re: [TML] Looking for a word to replace "General Aviation" tmr0195@xxxxxx (28 Aug 2017 03:15 UTC)
Re: [TML] Looking for a word to replace "General Aviation" Amber Witherspoon (28 Aug 2017 04:19 UTC)
Re: [TML] Looking for a word to replace "General Aviation" tmr0195@xxxxxx (28 Aug 2017 07:22 UTC)
Re: [TML] Looking for a word to replace "General Aviation" Amber Witherspoon (28 Aug 2017 08:35 UTC)
Re: [TML] Looking for a word to replace "General Aviation" tmr0195@xxxxxx (28 Aug 2017 17:15 UTC)

Re: [TML] Looking for a word to replace "General Aviation" Jeff Zeitlin 28 Aug 2017 00:51 UTC

On Sun, 27 Aug 2017 15:43:04 -0400, "Peter L. Berghold"
<xxxxxx@berghold.net> wrote:

>In some writing I was doing I am describing a portion of star port
>where instead of large corporation berthing this area is where non-
>corporate ships craft and smaller starships capable of making landfall
>would be berthed.  This would be every type of berthing from a piece of
>tarmack to a walled off area with a lockable gate (hatch?) registered
>to the craft's owner.
>
>In today's terms that would be (at least in my mind) the General
>Aviation section of an airport.
>
>Anybody have a word that is an equivalent that they use for such?
> Right now in the story I'm writing I'm using General Aviation as a
>placehodler until I find a better term.

I would call this "Unscheduled Services", analogously to AOPA's definition
of GA. Given the way you've described it above, I'm assuming that you're in
the US (or Canada).

Someone else in the thread (Mr Rux) described his view of the various
classes of starport. I disagree somewhat; I've described my view in
"Extending the UWP: Starports" (Freelance Traveller, May 2013, p.4;
http://www.freelancetraveller.com/features/rules/expuwp/starports.html).

®Traveller is a registered trademark of
Far Future Enterprises, 1977-2017. Use of
the trademark in this notice and in the
referenced materials is not intended to
infringe or devalue the trademark.

--
Jeff Zeitlin, Editor
Freelance Traveller

Freelance Traveller extends its thanks to the following
enterprises for hosting services:

onCloud/CyberWeb Enterprises (http://www.oncloud.io)
The Traveller Downport (http://www.downport.com)