Rules for fleshing out balkanized worlds? Carlos (02 May 2014 11:40 UTC)
Re: [TML] Rules for fleshing out balkanized worlds? Andrew Staples (02 May 2014 17:58 UTC)
Re: [TML] Rules for fleshing out balkanized worlds? Andrew Long (02 May 2014 18:43 UTC)
Re: [TML] Rules for fleshing out balkanized worlds? Timothy Collinson (04 May 2014 20:16 UTC)
Re: [TML] Rules for fleshing out balkanized worlds? Phil Pugliese (04 May 2014 22:46 UTC)
Re: [TML] Rules for fleshing out balkanized worlds? Bruce Johnson (05 May 2014 21:51 UTC)
Re: [TML] Rules for fleshing out balkanized worlds? Freelance Traveller (06 May 2014 14:52 UTC)
Re: [TML] Rules for fleshing out balkanized worlds? Phil Pugliese (06 May 2014 20:33 UTC)
Re: [TML] Rules for fleshing out balkanized worlds? Kenneth Barns (05 May 2014 22:07 UTC)
Re: [TML] Rules for fleshing out balkanized worlds? Bruce Johnson (02 May 2014 18:38 UTC)
Re: [TML] Rules for fleshing out balkanized worlds? Phil Pugliese (02 May 2014 19:34 UTC)
Re: [TML] Rules for fleshing out balkanized worlds? Kelly St. Clair (02 May 2014 20:04 UTC)
Re: [TML] Rules for fleshing out balkanized worlds? Bruce Johnson (02 May 2014 20:20 UTC)
Re: [TML] Rules for fleshing out balkanized worlds? Phil Pugliese (02 May 2014 22:27 UTC)
Re: [TML] Rules for fleshing out balkanized worlds? Phil Pugliese (02 May 2014 22:20 UTC)
Re: [TML] Rules for fleshing out balkanized worlds? Timothy Collinson (02 May 2014 21:39 UTC)
Re: [TML] Rules for fleshing out balkanized worlds? Bruce Johnson (02 May 2014 22:34 UTC)
Re: [TML] Rules for fleshing out balkanized worlds? Phil Pugliese (02 May 2014 22:48 UTC)
Re: [TML] Rules for fleshing out balkanized worlds? Phil Pugliese (03 May 2014 16:09 UTC)
Re: [TML] Rules for fleshing out balkanized worlds? Phil Pugliese (03 May 2014 17:02 UTC)
Re: [TML] Rules for fleshing out balkanized worlds? Ian Whitchurch (03 May 2014 22:57 UTC)
Re: [TML] Rules for fleshing out balkanized worlds? Timothy Collinson (03 May 2014 19:22 UTC)
Re: [TML] Rules for fleshing out balkanized worlds? Phil Pugliese (02 May 2014 22:33 UTC)
Re: [TML] Rules for fleshing out balkanized worlds? Richard Aiken (04 May 2014 06:18 UTC)
Re: [TML] Rules for fleshing out balkanized worlds? Timothy Collinson (02 May 2014 19:23 UTC)
Re: [TML] Rules for fleshing out balkanized worlds? Phil Pugliese (02 May 2014 22:13 UTC)
Re: [TML] Rules for fleshing out balkanized worlds? Ros Knox & Michael Barry (03 May 2014 08:43 UTC)

Re: [TML] Rules for fleshing out balkanized worlds? Ros Knox & Michael Barry 03 May 2014 08:43 UTC

For fleshing out the narrative details, selecting a historical parallel
is a time-honoured technique used by SF writers. The advantage of using
historical examples is that the interactions and influences between the
states are clearly documented to far greater detail than a GM will ever
need.

Renaissance Italy, the Warring States period of China, South Pacific
cultures (Papua New Guinea was particularly strange with one
thousand-odd *languages*) and pre-Shogunate Japan are all rich sources
of inspiration.

Ancient Greece was heavily balkanised before Rome helped them out of the
situation (permanently). Consider the social and governmental difference
between (kinda democratic) Athens, (seriously twisted) Sparta,
(tyrannic) Syracuse, Thebes and Corinth in various combinations taking
turns as major powers over several centuries -- with diverse smaller
city-states in between, shifting allegiances constantly.

Two of my favourite and most readable sources are Herodotus' *Histories*
and Thucydides' *History of the Peloponnesian War*, with both widely
available in Penguin paperback.

A little later, (Philip and Alexander's) Macedon and Ancient Persia make
a great contrast for superpower politics. Medieval Europe was balkanised
down to the provincial level (Duchy of Burgundy, anyone?).
Early-Medieval Britain was an unholy mess before the Norman invasion in
1066 (England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland and Viking settlements, even if
we don't consider civil wars) and there is of course all colours of
weird in the idea of Popes leading armies of conquest.

Africa and the Americas are outside my expertise, but historically those
continents hosted a similarly rich array of cultures.

Regards
Michael Barry