Re: [TML] Parental Advisory: Vector Thrust - Session 0: "Baked Potatoes" Alex Goodwin (24 May 2020 05:30 UTC)

On 24/5/20 9:35 am, Kelly St. Clair wrote:

> "... this landing is gonna get pretty interesting."
> "Define 'interesting.'"
> "'Oh God, oh God, we're all gonna die'?"
>
> "Just get us on the ground."
> "That part'll happen pretty definitely."
>
> Sounds like this was, as in the thing I'm quoting, a fine way to start
> off a tale of high adventure and thrilling *cough* heroics.  I salute
> you and your players (and their typical, I mean terrible dice luck),
> and thank you for sharing it with us.

Well, it was a _good_ landing - everyone could walk away unassisted.
Needs a bit of work to make it a _great_ one - ie, you can use the ship
again.

I needed to follow through on the promise I had made in chargen, and
judging from player feedback, I did.

i still intend to flag my own mistakes for everyone's benefit.

It's funny.  Especially when someone _else_ mucks up.

On the rookie GM side, it's an assurance that since even some wombat who
has been _running_ Trav for 22 years, on and off, can still stuff it up,
so don't beat yourself up about it too much.  Just Keep Calm and Get
Dangerous.

For veteran GMs, it's a (probably) different take on situations you've
most likely run into.  It might knock something loose, challenge an
assumption you didn't know you had, help you fill in the bit between
"collect underpants" and "profit", etc.

For me, it serves as a form of peer review - the expected payoff is that
(eventually) I'll stop making these particular mistakes and have to go
find a different way to stuff up.

Parts of my day job are probably showing through.