Changing The Jump Drive Jeff Zeitlin (29 Jul 2017 01:04 UTC)
Re: [TML] Changing The Jump Drive Amber Witherspoon (29 Jul 2017 01:28 UTC)
Re: [TML] Changing The Jump Drive Amber Witherspoon (29 Jul 2017 01:57 UTC)
Re: [TML] Changing The Jump Drive Amber Witherspoon (29 Jul 2017 15:58 UTC)
Re: [TML] Changing The Jump Drive Timothy Collinson (04 Aug 2017 17:47 UTC)
Re: [TML] Changing The Jump Drive C. Berry (04 Aug 2017 18:03 UTC)
Re: [TML] Changing The Jump Drive Amber Witherspoon (04 Aug 2017 19:51 UTC)
Re: [TML] Changing The Jump Drive Kurt Feltenberger (04 Aug 2017 23:13 UTC)
Re: [TML] Changing The Jump Drive C. Berry (05 Aug 2017 20:30 UTC)
Re: [TML] Changing The Jump Drive Amber Witherspoon (05 Aug 2017 21:15 UTC)
Re: [TML] Changing The Jump Drive Tim (06 Aug 2017 03:09 UTC)
Re: [TML] Changing The Jump Drive Tim (29 Jul 2017 09:02 UTC)

Re: [TML] Changing The Jump Drive Amber Witherspoon 04 Aug 2017 19:51 UTC

The solution is simple: make the higher order jump drives even more
expensive and space consuming. Or, change it from the M-Drive doing
the pushing to a secondary part of the jump drive, allowing a matrix
of Order^Exponent. So a 1^1 is the cheapest, while a 6^6 is the most
expensive one possible, and has the highest minimum tonnage
requirements (say, 100,000 tons).
We still won't hit Andromeda though, even with the 6^6 drive making it
only 18 jumps away - Jump 2 or 3 is the maximum that allows deep space
fuel depots that don't require a local hydrogen source (any higher
jumps require 100% or more of the ship's tonnage to carry two jumps
and a decent fuel load, unless you have huge J4 fuel freighters).