Jump mechanics question Christopher Sean Hilton (27 Apr 2023 21:17 UTC)
Re: [TML] Jump mechanics question Hubert Figuière (27 Apr 2023 22:56 UTC)
Re: [TML] Jump mechanics question Hubert Figuière (27 Apr 2023 23:09 UTC)
Re: [TML] Jump mechanics question Greg nokes (28 Apr 2023 06:00 UTC)
Re: [TML] Jump mechanics question Phil Pugliese (28 Apr 2023 07:06 UTC)
Re: [TML] Jump mechanics question Timothy Collinson (28 Apr 2023 10:02 UTC)
Re: [TML] Jump mechanics question Evyn MacDude (28 Apr 2023 16:47 UTC)
Re: [TML] Jump mechanics question greg nokes (28 Apr 2023 17:21 UTC)
Re: [TML] Jump mechanics question kaladorn@xxxxxx (02 May 2023 03:07 UTC)
Re: [TML] Jump mechanics question Jeffrey Schwartz (02 May 2023 11:45 UTC)
Re: [TML] Jump mechanics question Alan Peery (02 May 2023 11:54 UTC)
Re: [TML] Jump mechanics question Jeffrey Schwartz (02 May 2023 12:11 UTC)
Re: [TML] Jump mechanics question Greg nokes (02 May 2023 14:39 UTC)
Re: [TML] Jump mechanics question Jeffrey Schwartz (02 May 2023 14:52 UTC)
Re: [TML] Jump mechanics question Tom Rux (28 Apr 2023 11:52 UTC)
Re: [TML] Jump mechanics question Jeffrey Schwartz (28 Apr 2023 13:05 UTC)
Re: [TML] Jump mechanics question Phil Pugliese (28 Apr 2023 16:39 UTC)
Re: [TML] Jump mechanics question Tom Rux (28 Apr 2023 22:08 UTC)
Re: [TML] Jump mechanics question Christopher Sean Hilton (28 Apr 2023 23:34 UTC)
Re: [TML] Jump mechanics question Rupert Boleyn (29 Apr 2023 01:03 UTC)
Re: [TML] Jump mechanics question Tom Rux (29 Apr 2023 01:44 UTC)
Re: [TML] Jump mechanics question Tom Rux (29 Apr 2023 01:40 UTC)
Re: [TML] Jump mechanics question Jeffrey Schwartz (29 Apr 2023 17:35 UTC)
Re: [TML] Jump mechanics question Tom Rux (29 Apr 2023 23:14 UTC)
Re: [TML] Jump mechanics question greg nokes (01 May 2023 16:17 UTC)
Re: [TML] Jump mechanics question Jeffrey Schwartz (01 May 2023 17:34 UTC)
Re: [TML] Jump mechanics question greg nokes (01 May 2023 21:52 UTC)
Re: [TML] Jump mechanics question kaladorn@xxxxxx (02 May 2023 03:05 UTC)
Re: [TML] Jump mechanics question Jeffrey Schwartz (02 May 2023 11:39 UTC)
Re: [TML] Jump mechanics question Alex Goodwin (29 Apr 2023 04:09 UTC)

Re: [TML] Jump mechanics question Jeffrey Schwartz 02 May 2023 14:52 UTC

yeah, on a purpose built ship you could have something like that

I could totally see a 'Bussard JumpShip" - it screams through space at
100km/s, sucking up interstellar hydrogen and everything else until it
gets enough jump fuel, then jumps again. Some kind of 100kt monster
with a 70kt hangar full of 50 ton cutter sized automatic survey drones
that are just dumped out on the way past a star system, decel on their
own, and the AI does a whole survey then picks a spot to land and
become a type E port.

But as a "Oh, crap, we need a way to recover from a misjump!" where
the equipment isn't in place... that would be quite the adventure

Not sure where you'd get the hardware to make the electromagnetic
scoop, those things aren't small

Maybe pull grav plates out of the floor, take apart some of the ships
interior, and make a fan around the ship's fuel scoops that has 6G
attraction (max you can ask for from grav plates) so the fuel scoop
was virtually bigger... but that's a lot of improv, and one chunk of
solid (grain of sand) and that's going to hit the grav plate rather
than go in the scoop since it'll have more momentum

You might be able to put up some metal plates and build a tesla coil
to keep them charge polarized, then use the ship's laser to sweep
ahead and ionize the gasses, but I'm suspecting that weapons grade
lasers aren't designed to do continuos fire for weeks on end