Re: Landing vs hovering (was Re: [TML] What class of Port is this?) Christopher Sean Hilton (16 Aug 2017 20:26 UTC)
Re: Landing vs hovering (was Re: [TML] What class of Port is this?) Christopher Sean Hilton (17 Aug 2017 02:19 UTC)
Re: Landing vs hovering (wasRe: [TML] What class of Port isthis?) shadow@xxxxxx (23 Aug 2017 16:10 UTC)
(missing)
(missing)

Re: Landing vs hovering (wasRe: [TML] What class of Port isthis?) shadow@xxxxxx 23 Aug 2017 16:09 UTC

On 18 Aug 2017 at 11:46, C. Berry wrote:

> 1. CG, which "shields" or "cancels" some fraction between 0 and 1 of
> the gravitational attraction felt by the ship. A ship with its CG at
> 100% is effectively weightless, and might e.g. drift upward off the
> ground if a strong wind pushed it that way. But you can't control ship
> movement with CG alone, other than modulating your acceleration
> straight downward.

[snip]

> So e.g. to hover in a dirtside docking bay, you'd crank the CG to 1.0,
> and set the thrusters to cancel out all ship accelerations relative to
> the local ground (you do want to follow that patch of ground as it
> rotates around the axis of the planet. :) )

I strongly suspect that the amount of power required to "float"
depends on the local gravity. If it's 1/6th g like on Luna, it'd take
a lot less than on some massive hunk of rock with a 3 g surface
gravity.

If your power isn't high enough to counter the local gravity, you
sink as if subject to the local gravity minus your neutralization
setting.

So If you can only go to 2 g with your CG, you'd sink as if in a 1 g
field on that 3 g world.

Likewise, if your field is stronger than local gravity, you'd float
up at a rate determined by the distance.
--
Leonard Erickson (aka shadow)
shadow at shadowgard dot com