Re: [TML] Traveller as a game about space, style of presentation Jerry Barrington (21 Jan 2018 12:31 UTC)
Re: [TML] Traveller as a game about space, style of presentation Rupert Boleyn (21 Jan 2018 09:26 UTC)
Re: [TML] Traveller as a game about space, style of presentation Jerry Barrington (21 Jan 2018 12:30 UTC)
Re: [TML] Traveller as a game about space, style of presentation Jerry Barrington (21 Jan 2018 14:11 UTC)
Re: [TML] Traveller as a game about space, style of presentation Jerry Barrington (22 Jan 2018 13:27 UTC)
Re: [TML] Traveller as a game about space, style of presentation Jerry Barrington (27 Jan 2018 02:14 UTC)
Re: [TML] Traveller as a game about space, style of presentation Kurt Feltenberger (27 Jan 2018 02:22 UTC)
Re: [TML] Traveller as a game about space, style of presentation Jerry Barrington (27 Jan 2018 05:27 UTC)

Re: [TML] Traveller as a game about space, style of presentation Rupert Boleyn 21 Jan 2018 09:25 UTC

On 21Jan2018 1534, Caleuche wrote:
> Taking a little bit of a break from analysis of the map data, I thought
> I'd ask a little about how you all (I still don't like that English
> doesn't have a distinct plural you) handle the actual space aspect of
> the game, when you do handle it. I've noticed that much of the
> discussion tends to avoid this sort of thing and realize that many
> (most?) Traveller players completely leave these things out of their
> games, but here I go:
>
> First, to contextualize this, let's say players are in control of a ship
> and establish orbit around a world. They give you their orbital
> parameters, their systems do detect another object in orbit.

I do nothing like this sort of detail. Orbits come in rough categories:

Low - just above the atmosphere, with a period of 1-2 hours around large
planets like Earth, longer for less massive ones. Most used IMTU by
ships about to land or just after taking off as a parking orbit while
they sort out final details, get flight clearances, etc. High ports
after sit here if there's a lot of ground-orbit shuttle traffic, etc.
Also used for detailed mapping by PC ships without the sensors to do
such from higher up.

Medium - above low, less than geosynchronous. Mostly used IMTU by local
planetary societies for their navsats, weather sats, spy sats and so on.
Also used by survey ships for mapping. Most orbital fire support ships
sit up here, and change their orbits often, so as to remain over the
area they're providing support for.

Synchronous - 'geosynchronous' orbit. High ports might sit up here if
most traffic is ground-interstellar. Orbital shipyards, comsats, and
powersats (for those worlds with some strange aversion to fusion plants)
sit here too.

Very high - anything further out than that. Used by practically nobody.

Inclination is also specified if it's relevant, in general terms (polar,
highly inclined, equatorial).

There's one other type of 'orbit' I've had use for - a 'powered orbit'
where the ship is under power and the shape of the orbit bears no
relation to the 'orbital' velocity. This could be a ship hovering 1000km
above the world's surface (so 'geosynchronous' but obviously far too low
to really be such), or one 'orbiting' in 30 minutes while a few thousand
km up. IMTU these are known as 'powered orbits', even though they are
not technically orbits at all.

--
Rupert Boleyn <xxxxxx@gmail.com>
Chief Assistant to the Assistant Chief