Re: [TML] Traveller as a game about space, style of presentation Jerry Barrington (21 Jan 2018 12:31 UTC)
Re: [TML] Traveller as a game about space, style of presentation Jerry Barrington (21 Jan 2018 12:30 UTC)
Re: [TML] Traveller as a game about space, style of presentation Jerry Barrington (21 Jan 2018 14:11 UTC)
Re: [TML] Traveller as a game about space, style of presentation Jerry Barrington (22 Jan 2018 13:27 UTC)
Re: [TML] Traveller as a game about space, style of presentation Tim (26 Jan 2018 05:21 UTC)
Re: [TML] Traveller as a game about space, style of presentation Jerry Barrington (27 Jan 2018 02:14 UTC)
Re: [TML] Traveller as a game about space, style of presentation Kurt Feltenberger (27 Jan 2018 02:22 UTC)
Re: [TML] Traveller as a game about space, style of presentation Jerry Barrington (27 Jan 2018 05:27 UTC)

On Thu, Jan 25, 2018 at 11:02:04PM -0500, Caleuche wrote:
> And, of course, there's a huge difference between TL8 and TL15, but
> Traveller rules really don't seem to cover deep space detection, so
> I think it's natural to take cues from real world astronomy.>

One thing we do know about Traveller EM handling is that it is capable
of focussing onto spot sizes of at most tens of centimetres at a
distance of many tens of thousands of kilometres, with compact
equipment costing at most a few hundred thousand credits.  That's with
the additional constraint of having to handle at least gigawatts,
possibly terawatts of peak power.

We don't have anything within orders of magnitude of this performance
in any respect.  It's safe to say that the purpose-built astronomical
sensors of TL15 are absolutely fantastic by today's standards.

- Tim