Re: [TML] Traveller as a game about space, style of presentation Jerry Barrington (21 Jan 2018 12:31 UTC)
Re: [TML] Traveller as a game about space, style of presentation Jerry Barrington (21 Jan 2018 12:30 UTC)
Re: [TML] Traveller as a game about space, style of presentation Jerry Barrington (21 Jan 2018 14:11 UTC)
Re: [TML] Traveller as a game about space, style of presentation Jerry Barrington (22 Jan 2018 13:27 UTC)
Re: [TML] Traveller as a game about space, style of presentation Rupert Boleyn (26 Jan 2018 11:40 UTC)
Re: [TML] Traveller as a game about space, style of presentation Jerry Barrington (27 Jan 2018 02:14 UTC)
Re: [TML] Traveller as a game about space, style of presentation Kurt Feltenberger (27 Jan 2018 02:22 UTC)
Re: [TML] Traveller as a game about space, style of presentation Jerry Barrington (27 Jan 2018 05:27 UTC)

On 27Jan2018 0007, Evyn MacDude wrote:

> It all depends on what you are trying to detect in deep space. I have found
> that many Traveller fans *way *overestimate how much we will detect with
> shipboard sensors. Frequently confusing what is theoretically possible when
> one reads the science by what is possible when the real world engineering
> constraints are applied. Especially with the time frames that are often
> quoted. Don't get me wrong we can see and figure out some amazing things
> with the instruments we have if we are allowed to the requisite number of
> computer cycles to throw at the problem. And, and this part is important
> these thing require a great deal of Luck as well.

OTOH a ship that is out there in deep space because of a misjump or
other mishap probably has a fairly powerful radio running, and also
quite possibly has a directional antenna pointed at the nearest
inhabited system to boost the signal strength there. That should aid
detection considerably.

--
Rupert Boleyn <xxxxxx@gmail.com>
Chief Assistant to the Assistant Chief